Monday, July 23, 2012

Tex-Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers

Quinoa is one of my favorite foods to make. It's really versatile, plus it's super healthy! Until I made these peppers, though, I had only ever made quinoa as a side dish (as seen here). I realized when I made these that it also makes a perfect base for a main dish, especially a vegetarian one! Quinoa has lots of protein (8g in one cup cooked) and you can do so many things with it.


These bell peppers are stuffed with cooked quinoa, black beans and corn, then topped with cheese. They're a fantastic summer meal with fresh corn, but you could easily make them in the winter with frozen or canned corn too. Served with a side salad, they make a great meal to be eaten al fresco!


Tex-Mex Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Adapted from I Wash...You Dry
Serves 3-6 (Some of us ate one half, others ate two)

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 1 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 diced red onion
  • pinch of red pepper flakes
  • 3 bell peppers of any colour (I used red, orange and yellow)
  • 1 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup corn
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used a tex-mex blend)
Slice peppers in half (from top to bottom) and scoop out seeds. Set aside.

In a saucepan, heat oil and sauté garlic, onion and red pepper flakes until onion is translucent. Rinse quinoa and place in saucepan with 2 cups of water (or broth, if you prefer). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer until all liquid is absorbed (about 12-15 minutes). 

Heat oven to 350.

Add beans, corn and salt to cooked quinoa and stil to combine. Spoon mixture into hollowed peppers. Top with cheese and place on baking sheet lined with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Serve with salsa and/or guacamole. 


1 comments:

  1. These peppers look great! I'm always a fan of quinoa, and the black beans take it over the top. I'll definitely try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Free Blog Template by June Lily