Thursday, July 26, 2012

Lemon Poppyseed Loaf

Starbucks is a place that I visit a lot. I even have a gold customer loyalty card. When I go, I like so many of the drinks, but if I get food, I usually get either banana chocolate chip coffee cake or lemon poppyseed loaf. They're both super tasty (I recommend them!). Unfortunately, if you've ever looked at the nutritional information, you'll know that these are "special treat" kind of items, not to be eaten ALL the time. So, I decided to make my own!


This loaf is really good, and very lemon-y. It's different from the one at Starbucks, because it isn't topped with icing, but you could easily add some if you wanted. I think that it's delicious without it, and it makes it more of an afternoon snack than dessert. 


By the way, it's all wrapped up because it's my grandmother's favourite, and I gave it to her.

Lemon Poppyseed Loaf
makes one loaf
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 3 Tbsp poppyseeds
  • 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup milk

  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. grated lemon rind
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice
In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, and beat until incorporated.

In a seperate bowl, whisk together flour, poppyseeds, lemon rind, baking powder and salt. Add to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with milk, and beginning and ending with flour.

Pour into a greased 8 x 4 in. loaf pan, and bake in center of oven for one hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 

To make syrup, combine sugar, lemon rind and lemon juice in a sauce pan or a microwavable bowl, and heat until sugar is dissolved. 

When loaf is taken out of oven and still warm, poke in 12 places with a skewer. Pour syrup over top and let loaf rest before cutting.


Comments:

Post a Comment

Free Blog Template by June Lily